Get Your Website in Google Top 10 Search Results Free
Getting listed on the first page of google
Having your business listed on google’s top 10 search results is one of the most valuable things you could do for your company. It is also one of the hardest things to accomplish on competitive keywords. We have had great success in getting companies listed on the first page of search results and we are going to share some wisdom to get you going down the right path. We use “path” because there is definitely a right and a wrong way to accomplish this goal and we want to ensure you don’t get penalized for something you were unaware of.
Search Engine Optimization is all about “Karma”
This is actually quite true and we love knowing that Google is constantly trying to improve their systems to keep cheaters and corner-cutters in the back. You can cheat Google in the short run but the penalties you will surely receive for manipulating the system will do much more harm than good. You should be extremely happy to know these steps are being taken if you value a high code of ethics and moral values in your business, as we do. We are going to go through this in more details because this is the most important aspect in getting high rankings in search results. Let’s look at the most important factors that affect where your website will rank in search results.
By providing quality content to your visitors and prospective customers, you are already doing the number one thing that google values. If your customers are happy on your site, Google is happy to lead more visitors your way. Think of it as Google giving recommendations in ranking order of the companies they think will best handle their customer. If you were sending a customer of yours to another company, you would send them to the company you trust will handle their needs professionally, or it would look bad on you.
Google is constantly ranking websites to ensure they are directing their customers to the right company. One of the primary ways they add weight to those rankings is by the number of positive referrals coming from other reputable websites. This is known as link building. They look at each website that links to your website as a referral or recommendation from that company. The more reputable the website that is linking to your site is, the more weight Google will apply to your ranking.
While content is king, the website layout and url structure play a vital role when optimizing for high search rankings on Google. This includes your website’s page titles, permalink structure, images, headings and whether or not to use SSL to name a few. This can get a bit technical so we will cover this in more detail down below.
Rank high in search by avoiding SEO mistakes
Performing well in Google search takes time and you have to be patient. You will be tempted to cut corners when it comes to getting listed in the top 10 but the penalties you will receive from Google will make it a lot harder to work your way back up and succeed. Don’t learn the hard way and don’t fall for anyone guaranteeing top 10 results in under 90 days. This is a good guideline but new tricks are popping up every day and no matter how smart you believe you are, don’t try to outsmart Google. If you are unsure of any of the words in this list, we have included a glossary of terms at the end of this post.
- Avoid “keyword stuffing” when writing your content. Google is smart and they don’t need you to say the same 2 words 30 times in an article to know what you want to rank for. Remember, they are going to rank you high for quality content and stuffing keywords everywhere is not a good experience for your visitors.
- Always research keywords you want to rank highly for before writing your content. Remember, don’t just stuff these keywords everywhere. Write some original content that keeps your visitors on your website structured around your main keyword phrases and you will have a much better chance of Google linking to your content.
- Never forget about your visitors or customers needs. If you always write quality content that you believe is beneficial to your visitor, you will do well. If you steal ideas from around the web based upon certain keywords just trying to manipulate search results, you are destined to fail and you should contract this out to someone else.
- The moment you realize there are no shortcuts to search engine optimization, the better you will start to perform in search results. Always go back to your target audience and structure your site and content to intrigue and convert those customers.
- Avoid “duplicate content” which is sometimes done on purpose but can often occur with no intent at all. A way to spot out if Google is recognizing duplicate content on your site is through Google Search Console. It’s free and it’s one of the most valuable tools you could use. If duplicate content is found, it can easily be corrected so don’t be alarmed.
- Avoid writing content that is difficult to read. Try to write your content for a fifth grade reading level and you will have better results. Avoid run on sentences and always remember to keep it simple for your visitor to take in the information you want them to see.
- If it starts to sound awkward when you read your content, check that you are not using filler content to stuff keywords. If it sounds weird to you, it will look like a red flag to Google’s algorithms.
- Don’t forget to build a good following of relevant sites willing to link to your website. Don’t use the comment section of irrelevant sites to link to your site. This is a shady practice.
- Never, ever pay a company to get links to your site. This is a very sleazy tactic that will guarantee a penalty from Google.
- Don’t make the mistake of believing you know exactly what your customers will search for. Researching the right keywords before you build your website will be a lot easier in the long run.
- Choose realistic keywords to avoid competing with the giants. For example, a new website selling mortgages is never going to have the opportunity to compete with a major lending website on a term like “mortgage rates” so don’t bother competing on the same keywords.
- Instead focus on keyword phrases that could be unique to your business and this will also lead to higher conversion rates. You will have better luck with keyword phrases over singular keywords like “mortgage.”
- Avoid limiting your website page or post to one or two keyword phrases. You will have more success using multiple keyword variations as long as they stay relevant to that page and are beneficial to your audience.
- Don’t use the “set it, forget it” technique or you will never succeed. Search engine optimization doesn’t happen overnight and for best results, you will constantly need to modify your content to achieve success.
If you follow the advice outlined above and have done your keyword research, you should be able to get your website listed in Google’s top 10 search results. Be patient as this is not easy. However, when done properly with a well thought out plan, you can achieve long term success and gain targeted visitors to your site. This is by far the solution with the highest conversion rate out of any other online marketing. Do it the right way and Google is great about rewarding your hard work in time.
If you have any additional questions or need advice with optimizing your website for search result success, please contact us below.
Consider Wise Search Engine Optimization
SEO Frequently Asked Questions
SEO is short for search engine optimization. Search engine optimization is the process of optimizing a website’s content, key words, html markup and more that best allows search engines like google to index the site in their search results. This will result in more visitors at no cost to you. This is known as an organic or natural listing within the search engine. The better you optimize your website for Google’s robots to crawl through your content, the better they will be able to tell where your site should rank. SEO always values quality over quantity with keywords and this process should never be manipulated.
Keywords are the primary words and phrases that make up your website content. Key words and key word phrases are what your customers are typing in and searching on Google. A properly optimized website will use the same or similar keywords as their target audience would search for on search engines for best results.
Your website content is the entire text and visuals that make up your website. This can include text, images, sounds, videos, and animations to name a few. It is extremely important to feature quality original content if you want your website to rank well.
A web host is the company engaged in providing server technology and space for websites to be created. Web hosts play a key role in SEO with page load times and performance differences. The faster your site loads for your visitor, the better experience you are providing, leading to higher rankings in search engines.
Link building is the process of getting your website linked to from other sites. Link is short for hyperlink and it is the way people travel from site to site online. Getting your website linked to from reputable websites will greatly increase your chances of ranking high in google search results.
URL is short for uniform resource locator. It specifies where an identified resource is available and the way to retrieve it. In simpler terms, the URL is the specific page, post or image destination or address. For example, all of our Wisdom posts can be found at the following URL: https://wisewebsitesolutions.com/wisdom-blog/. Structuring your URLs is the way you organize all of your posts and pages throughout your website. Consider making an outline of all of your pages and then the top level pages and categories would each have their own subcategories and the overall outline would make up your site’s URL structure.
More recently, Google has been giving more rank within search results to websites secured by SSL. SSL is short for secure sockets layer and it is the standard security technology for establishing a secure link between a web server and your internet browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browser remain private. You will know if a website has ssl by looking at your address bar in your browser and if it starts with https:// you will know it is ssl. If it is http:// it is not protected by SSL. SSL adds to your reputation and is a better overall security for your visitors which leads to better search engine placement.
Duplicate content is content that Google is coming across in multiple places throughout your website. This could be because you are linking to the same content in multiple categories, or from old archive pages or by the wide variety of ways you can get to the same piece of information on your website. Avoid duplicate content by redirecting all of the duplicate content to the main content’s URL. You can also specify a canonical url but this is a more advanced technique we aren’t going into detail within this post.